Evidently we put on quite a show for some of San Francisco's residents. Photographer Stuart Taylor says it was quite distracting to watch...
Friday, August 31, 2007
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Monday, August 13, 2007
Sunday, August 12, 2007
photo: Paul Buelow ooto.com
I'm getting more photos to post shortly, so be sure to check back here.
In the meantime, here are some helpful tips from Shawn Davis, if you want to look through his volume of Nationals photos more efficiently:
"I've got all my nationals photos posted now. Thanks for some great
racing! I added sail number keywords to most of the photos so when
you see a photo of yourself, just click on your keyword below the
photo and you'll be able to see all the rest of your photos."
All Nationals photos
Day 2 Course Racing filter
Day 5 Course Racing filter
Complete Final Results after 8 Junior Races, 10 Formula races, and 8 RS-X races.
The competition is now behind us. Many thanks to those of you who traveled far to come visit us! Thanks also go out to the St.FYC our gracious hosts and organizers, the superb race management, all of the volunteers, and all of our generous sponsors.
photo: Ron Kern
Congratulations to everyone who participated, and specially to the 2007 US & North American Windsurfing Champions:
Todd Selby (Juniors Champion)
Seth Besse (Formula Champion)
Steve Sylvester (Masters Champion)
Robert Willis (Men's RS-X Champion)
Karen Marriott (Women's RS-X Champion)
See you all next year in Worthington, MN.
Friday, August 10, 2007
photo: Paul Buelow ooto.com
The spectator jewel of the Nationals: high speed slalom racing, was held today, close to shore, in fantastic high wind conditions.
A qualification series, followed by a championship round provided plenty of action for the competitors and spectators.
Results for the Slalom Qualification Series.
Results for the Slalom Championship Series.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
The time of the first warning signal for Friday August 10th shall take place at 1200 hours.
Posted August 9, 2007 / 1730 hrs
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
We are on schedule to have the long distance race on Thursday 8/9/07. There will be a skipper's meeting at 11:00am at the announcer's tower on the beach prior to the long distance race, with a first possible start of 12:00pm.
The Sailing Instructions for the long distance are now available.
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
The following official race documents are now available:
Saturday, August 4, 2007
2007 US Windsurfing National Championship &
Formula Windsurfing North American Championship
August 7 – 11
Crissy Field, San Francisco, California
Contacts for more information for this press release or photos.
Susan Ruhne, St.Francis Yacht Club Marketing Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Leenhouts, St. Francis Yacht Club Race Office email@example.com
Alina Abuzyarova, Event PR Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
100 racers from around the world – US National Championship windsurfing events are open to all nationalities and attract many of the world's top ranked professional competitors – Most of the top nationally-ranked amateur competitors are locally based, and look forward to having the best in the world here on their home turf - The Bay Area racing fleet is top in the US - many local racers are past national champions.
· Ages: A strong junior (9-1Cool contingent will be present - part of a successful ongoing effort by the sport to encourage young talent.
· Also many very competitive older racers: Like local Steve Sylvester,age 60, who always wins his division, yet is also the top tier overall.
Crissy Field on the San Francisco City Front - One of the premier windsurfing event sites in the world - Framed by the Golden Gate Bridge and the backdrop of a dynamic cosmopolitan center - Radical, high-wind, extremely challenging conditions - Ideal spectator viewing from the beachside event site. Competitors will rig & launch from the Crissy Field East Beach.
Spectators are encouraged to come and meet the sailors.
What & When:
Updates & daily results can be found at www.stfyc.com
Monday August 6: Registration and tune-up
Tuesday August 7: Racing - appx: 12-5
Wednesday August 8: Racing - appx: 12- 5
Thursday August 9: Racing - appx: 12-5
Friday August 10: Racing - appx: 12-5
Saturday August 11: Racing - appx: 12-5 - Awards Ceremony
· Course Racing - Like traditional yacht racing with a tactical, strategic battle directly in to the wind.
· Long Distance - A grueling test of stamina and the ability to handle highly variable, extreme conditions as the racers cross distant corners of SanFrancisco Bay.
· Slalom - High-speed downwind races on small, lightweight boards and sails -this is a very exciting, close-to-shore, tightly-packed fleet race ideal for spectators.
Formula Windsurfing is an equipment standard which places limits on the number of sails a racer may use for an event, and applies limits to the board dimensions. This levels the playing field and allows amateur competitors easy access to the same gear used by the professionals. Generally speaking, this limitation system makes it more affordable for average participants to race on state-of-the-art gear. ALSO: The Formula system has revived competitive windsurfing around the world by making It more inviting and accessible to those interested in racing. In terms of traditional sailing, a Formula Windsurfing set-up is the fastest course racing sailboat.
Key Support Organizations:
Regatta Host: The St. Francis Yacht Club – www.stfyc.com
Founded in 1927, the St. Francis Yacht Club is steeped in over 75 years of yachting and racing traditions, and presides at the water's edge of the San Francisco City Front. The StFYC hosted the 1999 & 2004 Windsurfing National Championship.
Sanctioning Body: US Windsurfing - uswindsurfing.org
Local Community: San Francisco Boardsailing Association – www.sfba.org
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Here are the steps for the online registration for this event:
- Go to the St. Francis Yacht Club web site.
- Click on the "On The Water" button, and select "Racing".
- Scroll down, find and click the "7-11 USWA North Americans" link under "August".
- A "Regatta Manager" window opens. Select the "Signup" button.
- Even if you have previously signed up for events at the St. Francis Yacht Club, you must select the red "Sign Up" button to register with a new Username for the Nationals.
- Fill out your personal information, select a username and password, and enter information about your sail number and "Yacht"! Please be sure to select the appropriate division, and don't forget to select "USA-United States Windsurfing" under the National Governing Body Information.
- Read and accept the release form.
- Enter your payment information, and pay for the event.
- You will receive confirmation email messages once your account is created, and your credit card has been successfully charged for the event Registration Fees.